Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Quick and Easy Lunch

The 2008 Indianapolis Mini Marathon is history. :-( I'm sad to have missed it, even though I know it was for the best. If I'd skipped it last year's Mini, rather than trying to run 13.1 miles on a pulled hamstring, I'd never had to take so much time off and I'd have run my first marathon by now. ::sigh:: But now that it's over I'm just excited to see how well my friends and training partners did! Woohoo K! 1:41! You go girl!

I can eat a healthy breakfast. Lots of options. No problem. I can do a healthy dinner too. I'll spend half the day plotting and planning what I can fix. Surfing through blog after blog for a healthy recipe that catches my eye or roaming the aisles of the grocery store looking for a low-cal, healthy meal idea. Lunch, on the other hand, is hard. I'm usually busy (planning dinner! LOL!), in the middle of a project or cleaning up the mess before the kids come home, and the last thing I want to do is stop and make a mess of my own in the kitchen. I'm usually here by myself and even when I'm not, dh almost always wants a ham sandwich, so I'm cooking for myself. Sadly, and even though I know better, I tend to just skip it ... and then pig out on sweets later in the afternoon to give me the energy to go out and run.

I've been trying to gather a selection of quick, easy and healthy lunch ideas that I can fix on those days when I'm in a hurry. Unfortunately I'm picky, which complicates things. I'm not big on cold sandwiches, hate canned soups and salads don't generally fill me up. (Except for Kalyn's Taco Salad. I could probably eat that every day!) I tend to fall back on my old favorite Black Beans and Rice, which can get old quickly when you are also eating it for breakfast! I decided to try something new today and I will definitely be making this one again and again. I'm the only one around here who gets excited about seafood so I tend not to serve it at dinner often even though I love it. I had a box of frozen grilled Cajun-spiced fish in the freezer so I pulled out a fillet, threw it in the microwave and gathered up a low carb tortilla, some guacamole and fresh salsa and the last of the quesadilla cheese hiding in the refrigerator. Eight minutes later I had a delicious fish taco with just enough protein and spiciness to get me through the afternoon. Yum!

No comments: