Friday, May 2, 2008

Black Beans and Rice

Today is ds's 18th birthday. That's been fun. We went to pick out a new bicycle for him to take with him to college after school and then we all went out to dinner at the restaurant of his choice: The Outback. It's a lot nicer when the kids get older and start picking decent places rather than fast food joints. Not as much fun however, is the fact that while we were having a birthday party, all my friends were off at the big pasta dinner before tomorrow's race. It's kind of depressing to miss the race after running it for the past two years. It's not like I could run it even if I wanted to try. Between injuries and that horrible six week bout of the flu, thirteen miles isn't even an option. Dh and I thought about running the 5K instead but since I'm still 10 minutes off my 5K time it just didn't seem worth leaving here at 4 am to drive 2 hours to run/walk three miles in the cold rain. ::sigh:: I know there will be other races. We've already picked out a fall HM so we can get seeded for next year's mini. And this year we won't be injured all summer so we'll be able to take advantage of all those local races. It still sucks though. :-(

Here's my favorite go-to recipe for breakfast and/or lunch these days. Black Beans and Rice. I always try to keep a supply of already cooked brown rice and black beans in the refrigerator. It comes in handy when I want to throw a hand full of beans onto a salad or into a bowl of soup. Rice can be quickly stir-fried with a few veggies for a quick lunch or light dinner. But most often I stir up up some brown rice and black beans, mix in a little fresh salsa and top with a bit of cheese. Quick. Easy. Healthy. :-)


Black Beans and Rice

Brown Rice, cooked
Canned black beans, rinsed and drained
cheddar cheese, shredded
fresh salsa

In a large skillet saute rice and beans until heated through. In bowl, mix rice-bean mixture with salsa and top with a sprinkle of cheese.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I eat a lot of quick simple meals like this too. Good flavor and nutrition doesn't need to take long.