Sunday, May 4, 2008

Is it still a breakfast taco ...

... if you eat it at 1:30 in the afternoon? Hmmm. Whatever it is ... taco, burrito ... this dish is delicious at any time of the day. I was checking out Slightly Cheaper than Therapy (one of my new favorite foodie blogs) this morning and came across her recipe for Migas Tacos (If you are curious what Migas means, you can find out here.) I'm not usually a big egg fan. I can take them or leave them but generally I'd rather leave them. Something about her pictures really grabbed my attention. So much so that when I found out that ds and his friends had eaten all the tortilla chips during their sleepover last night, I jumped in the car and drove to the nearest gas station to pick some up. I'm glad I did. The tortilla chip crumbs soak up enough of the juice and eggs to lose their crunchy texture and add a delicious, corny flavor to the dish. Definitely wouldn't be the same without them. Unfortunately I wimped out on the jalapeno and went on the lower side. Next time I'd use a bit more as fresh jalapenos don't seem to add as much punch as the pickled ones do.

Migas Tacos
Recipe from Slightly Cheaper Than Therapy

2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 of a sweet white onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, coarsely chopped
1 - 2 seeded jalapenos
3 large eggs
crushed tortilla chips
1/4 c. Mexican blend shredded cheese
3 taco-sized flour tortillas, heated

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent. Do NOT caramelize. Add tomatoes, jalapeno and crushed tortilla chips and saute a bit longer until slightly soft. Be careful not to burn the chips. (If you’re worried about the onions cooking too much, add the tomatoes and jalapeno when the onions are about halfway cooked.) Mix in the eggs and cook till softly scrambled. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until it’s completely melted. Divide egg mixture into thirds and top tortillas. Roll up and serve with queso (yes, more cheese!) and salsa.


No comments: