Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Mayo!

My morning routine usually consists of me staggering into the kitchen, fixing a hot chai latte and settling into the computer to check out new recipes and food blogs. Peanut Butter Etouffee is one blog that I make sure to check often because something there is always sure to catch my eye. Since today happens to be Cinco de Mayo, when I came across their recipe for the Taquito Sauce from their favorite L.A. taco stand, Cielito Lindo, I knew I'd have to make it for our Cinco de Mayo Fiesta. It turned out to be quite a surprise. I knew I'd like it but I didn't really expect dh to even try it. He tends to have an aversion for all things green and healthy. ;-) In the middle of dinner he asked to try it and really liked it. The kids enjoyed the taquitos as a change from our regular tacos and they really didn't take much longer to make. The taquitos were fun and the sauce was tasty and quick to make.

Nupur from One Hot Stove was paired with PBE during the most recent Taste & Create over at For the Love of Food. She's created her own version of this yummy Taquito Sauce which you can check out here. Next time I have a little more time to prepare dinner, I'm going to try her version and see how that turns out. It'll be nice to have a more "homemade" version as well as a quicker one for those busy nights we seem to have around here so often.


Taquito sauce
Recipe from Peanut Butter Etouffee

1 can of Herdez Salsa Verde, or something that has tomatillos, onions, serrano peppers, salt, and cilantro.
1/2 ripe avocado
about 1/2 cup cilantro, packed
one serrano pepper, no seeds

Blend this in a food processor until smooth. Add salt to taste or extra serrano peppers if you like it hotter. Strain out all the seed.

Now here's the odd part, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about five minutes. Don't boil, just simmer, this isn't a reduction. Thin with a bit of water or chicken broth. This is a real thin sauce. Maybe as thin as tomato juice. Cool and refrigerate.

1 comment:

barb said...

thanks so much for the shout out.......this was the brilliance of my sister Moon that concocted this sauce. Of all the items in our blog this sauce gets a LOT of comments.

Thanks for stopping by.