Sunday, November 18, 2007

Teresa's Fried Rice


Why is it so easy to slack off? No running all week. ::sigh:: I ran in a 10K race last weekend, and while I wish my time would have been better, I was pretty pleased with the results. I finished only a couple of seconds behind my friend and running partner and was only about 20 seconds off of my time from the same race last year. If I can start doing a better job of getting out the door on a more regular basis, I'm cautiously optimistic that I can start off TNT training in January as strong as I was last year and hopefully have a phenomenal spring race season. :-)

While I haven't been running (or blogging) this week, I have been cooking. Katie was sick this week and requested her favorite comfort food, Mom's Fried Rice. It's a simple concoction of scrambled eggs, rice and peas. Katie prefers I stop right there. Dh and I like to add mushrooms and whatever veggies are left in the crisper. It's one of my quick go-to meals, especially if I have some already cooked rice in the fridge or freezer. I used to only use white rice for this but now I prefer it with brown. It makes it a tad bit healthier and even the kids don't complain!


Teresa's Fried Rice

6 cups rice -- cooked
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
3 large eggs
3 green onions -- sliced
3 teaspoons oyster sauce
3 teaspoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil

Scramble eggs in a small skillet. Remove and set aside.

Heat oil in wok. I generally use olive oil but any kind will do. Add already-cooked rice and stir-fry for a moment until heated through. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce and stir until evenly distributed. Move rice to the sides and add mushrooms and vegetables. Stir-fry until cooked through. Stir veggie mixture into the rice. Add eggs and toss.

The great thing about this recipe is you can use whatever you have. Just add in any veggies or meats chopped into bite-sized pieces: chicken, pork, even bacon.

No comments: