Friday, November 2, 2007

Sriracha ... a very good thing!


It's a rest day tomorrow. I'm planning a long run tomorrow. I'm thinking 7 or 8 miles but we'll see what the day brings. The group is running early in the morning but I'm thinking it might be nice to sleep in, even if I have to run by myself later on!

I tried a new recipe tonight and I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised. I knew dh would like it but I didn't expect that I'd love it. LOL! I happened across a really great blog the other day called Table for Two. It's now one of my favorites. I spent way too much time yesterday browsing through all the recipes trying to decide which one I'd make first! The winner was Mr. Wonderful's Comfort Stew. It's an incredible concoction of kielbasa, potatoes, beans and diced tomatoes with a smoky and spicy gravy flavored with cumin and Sriracha, an Asian garlic-chili sauce that added a tasty zing to the stew. It was quick and easy to make as well as delicious. Definitely a keeper.

Mr Wonderful's Comfort Stew

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 package kielbasa, sliced lengthwise and then cut into 1/2" slices
2 potatoes, cut into about 1 1/2" dice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 cup pork broth (use chicken if you can't find pork)
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
salt & pepper
Shredded cheese, for serving
Sour cream, for serving

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the kielbasa and saute until it gets a little golden brown. Add the diced potatoes, season liberally with salt & pepper, and saute for about 5 minutes, until they start to turn golden brown. Add the two cans of beans, the can of tomatoes, the cumin, garlic powder (or fresh garlic; I was just being lazy), the cup of broth and the Sriracha. Add enough water just to cover the stew, and raise the heat up to medium high. When the stew just starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the stew has thickened. Taste for seasonings & adjust as needed. Add the cilantro and green onion at the very end.

Ladle into bowls, topping each bowl with cheese and/or sour cream if you like (we added a little dollop of sour cream to each bowl and the cool creamy goodness was the perfect counterpoint to the spicy stew).

No comments: