Thursday, January 28, 2010

Vegetable Fried Rice


 

 Lunch! This is one of my favorites. Grab what's in the refrigerator and throw it in with some rice. Today it was mushrooms, peas, carrots, green onion and a scrambled egg. Little bit of soy sauce and the secret ingredient ... oyster sauce. Yum!


Teresa's Fried Rice

2 cups rice -- cooked
1 handful frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup canned sliced mushrooms
2 large eggs
2 green onions -- sliced
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil

Scramble eggs in a small skillet. Remove and set aside.

Heat oil in wok. I generally use olive oil but any kind will do. Add already-cooked rice and stir-fry for a moment until heated through. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce and stir until evenly distributed. Move rice to the sides and add mushrooms and vegetables. Stir-fry until cooked through. Stir veggie mixture into the rice. Add eggs and toss.

The great thing about this recipe is you can use whatever you have. Just add in any veggies or meats chopped into bite-sized pieces: chicken, pork, even bacon.

2 comments:

wosnes said...

I make a version of this frequently: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/jean-georgess-fried-rice/

I usually use onions instead of leeks and add some mushrooms, bell pepper, peas, carrots -- whatever I have on hand. I add the garlic and ginger to the onions instead of doing them separately. Sometimes I add leftover cooked meat. I do always top it with a fried egg. Makes a great, quick meal.

Teresa said...

Oooh! That5 sounds interesting. I bookmarked the recipe and can't wait to try it. Thanks for the heads up. :-)