Monday, January 4, 2010

Serendipity: Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quesadillas



I am now a firm believer in fate.

No doubt about it.

While I was grocery shopping the other day, a few items from the lady behind me made it into my order without my realizing it. Fortunately the woman behind me in line had good stuff. Instead of sugary cereal or processed American cheese which I would have expected (and the kids would hope for!) a log of Chevre goat cheese and a head of garlic came home with me. Doubly lucky because I love goat cheese and haven't had any for awhile. When I saw this recipe for Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quesadillas over at my new favorite blog, Pink Parsley this afternoon, I knew it was destined to be my new favorite lunch and I was right! The delicious, creamy tang of the melty goat cheese went perfectly with the sweetly caramelized onions and the meaty mushrooms. In fact I ended up eating both quesadillas without even giving hubby a chance to even taste one! I only used cremini mushrooms since that's all I had on hand (and there was no way this one was waiting until the next grocery store run!)

Take some time to check out Pink Parsley, a really great blog. I think I've bookmarked almost every other recipe. In fact, I made this one for dinner tonight. Check back later in the week to see how we liked it!

Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
Recipe from Pink Parlsey

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds mixed wild and commercial mushrooms, sliced (stem the shiitakes)
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
8 8-inch flour tortillas
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded monterey jack cheese
3 cups (15 ounces) crumbled fresh goat cheese
    Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and saute about 4 minutes, until softened.  Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and Worcestershire sauce, and saute an additional 5 minutes.  Add the white wine and pepper, and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed, at least 5 minutes.

    While the mushrooms cook, coat a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray and heat to high heat.  Reduce heat to medium when it is preheated.

    Lay a tortilla flat on the cooking surface, and sprinkle 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese over the whole tortilla.  Top half with about 1/3 cup of the mushroom mixture, then sprinkle with a thin layer of goat cheese.  Use a stiff spatula and fold each tortilla in half.  Cook until light brown and crisp on the bottom, then carefully flip and cook until the other side has browned.

    Transfer to a plate and keep warm in the oven.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.  To serve, cut each into 3-4 wedges, and serve with salsa for dipping.

    3 comments:

    Em said...

    These looks fabulous, I think I will make these on next weeks Menu Plan.

    Teresa said...

    They were wonderful I'm already trying to justify another trip into town today for more mushrooms! LOL!

    Josie said...

    You are so sweet - thanks so much for the shout out! I love those quesadillas!