Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Help Me! I Have a Problem ...



I'm addicted to kitchen gadgets. I can't seem to stop myself. Flea markets. Garage sales. The Target kitchen department. I always seem to be picking up new kitchen utensils. They are small. They are inexpensive (usually). They seem harmless.  I have a mother-in-law that feeds my addiction. One Christmas she gave me a huge box full of OXO stuff. (Another it was a huge box of McCormick's spices!) Not to mention there is a sister-in-law who sells Pampered Chef!


But suddenly I find myself overrun with gizmos and gadgets. I had two (yes two) kitchen drawers so packed with these gadgets that they wouldn't even open. The handle broke on one ... let's say awhile ago (when my teenager was a toddler!) and I haven't even opened it since. I have a Pampered Chef Tool Turn-About crammed full of BBQ brushes and measuring spoons, silicone scrapers and pizza cutters. I also have an OXO Utensil Holder full of OXO spatulas and ladles and my microplane and a myriad of other utensils I feel I can't live without. :-)



Help! I've taken all my utensils out and sorted them onto the dining room table. I've eliminated the old. The poor quality. The broken and the useless. It would be easy to just say one of each but I *need* more than one set of tongs. Same with the pizza (and grilled cheese and ...) cutters. Some things I am going to have to have more than one. I accept that. My question is how to store it all. I'm putting the things I use daily out on the counter but how to store the rest so that it isn't just a big, impenetrable jumble? Any suggestions? Websites? Links to a 12 step program?

2 comments:

ToyLady said...

I've had the same problem - too many gadgets, too little space. . . and I need them ALL!

I finally sorted through my utensil crock (because there was so much crammed in there I couldn't find anything!) and, like you, kept what I absolutely-positively-can't live without, then had to find a home for the but-I-still-need-it stuff. What I ended up doing (don't laugh!) was to shove it all in a copy paper box and store it in the pantry (i.e. the basement). I can get to it easily enough, and I know right where everything is - it's just not in the way.

It's something, anyway. . .

Teresa said...

LOL! A kindred spirit! :-)We still can't eat at the table because it's covered with stuff I can't decide what to do with. Do I keep it? Do I donate it? I'm resisting thta urge to hide it somewhere. I know when I start reorganizing the utility room I'm going to have several boxes of kitchen stuff I've stashed there because I didn't know what to do with it and company was coming! ;-)