Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chipotle Black Bean Soup


Since school has started up again, I've been motivated to get back into some kind of routine. I'm blogging again. I'm cooking more often. I'm trying to exercise on a regular basis. One of my other goals is to prepare a healthy lunch for dh and myself. He works at home and now that the kids are gone it's easy to fall into the old ham sandwich rut.

When I saw this Chipotle Black Bean Soup recipe over at Cinnamon & Spice, I knew it would be perfect and I wasn't disappointed. Easy to throw together using ingredients I always keep on hand, this recipe is definitely a keeper. Canned Chipotle peppers add the right amount of heat and echo the smokiness of the bacon. I served it with some cheese quesadillas, made with some delicious Chipotle Cheddar I picked up at the market last week.

Chipotle Black Bean Soup
Recipe from Cinnamon & Spice

4 slices bacon
2 medium onions, diced
4 cloves garlic
2 15 ounce cans Black Beans
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can chicken or vegetable broth
1 7.5 ounce can diced green chiles
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced(or more-if you like it very spicy)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
Sea salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper, to taste
Sour cream, lime wedges and spicy tortilla chips, for serving


In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan fry the bacon. Remove the bacon when cooked
and drain the grease all but a tablespoon. Rough chop the bacon and add it back to
the pan with the onion. Saute until tender and translucent, add garlic and saute for a
few more minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about 35 minutes.
Serve with sour cream, avocado and/or tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I tried Amy's Black Bean Chili for the first time yesterday and have been craving more of it ever since. This sounds like it has similar flavors but more veggies so I can't wait to try it.