Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shrimp Saganaki


Hubby was out of town and I needed something quick and filling to make for my dinner. I pulled out a package of frozen shrimp that I keep on hand for times like this (dh hates seafood) and pulled out a recipe I'd bookmarked earlier: Shrimp Saganaki. Delicious! Not that I was surprised. Closet Cooking is a great place to find delicious dinner ideas. So far we've loved all we've tried. I did make a few changes. I left out the ouzo. (I had a bad ouzo experience back in college ...LOL!) I also didn't have any tomatoes on hand so I used a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes instead.

Shrimp Saganaki
Recipe by Kevin of Closet Cooking

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup onion (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1/2 cup tomato (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 splash ouzo
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 pound shrimp
1 handful parsley (chopped)
1/2 cup feta (crumbled)

Heat the oil in a pan.

Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.

Add the tomato, oregano and ouzo and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Add the shrimp and simmer for 30 seconds per side.

Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.

Transfer to a baking dish and top with the feta cheese.

Bake in a preheated 425F oven until the sauce is bubbly, about 10 minutes.

No comments: