Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hummus Pizza


I've found my new favorite quick lunch! I dvr'ed an episode of 30 Minute Meals where Rachael Ray whipped up a couple of Greek-themed dishes in the alotted thirty minutes. All three dishes seemed to have a little potential but the Hummus Pit-zas were the quickest to throw together. As I was at a loss for what to fix for lunch, I thought I'd take a chance on this one. I mean, I like hummus. I like Pita bread. And I'm currently infatuated with Feta. What's not to like? (And how is it that I only just discovered Feta? How have I lived without it this long!)

This is definitely one of those recipes where simple ingredients combine to form something greater than the sum of it's parts. And it's definitely one of those recipes I will be fixing over and over again now that the kids have gone back to school. Yum-o!


Hummus Pit-zas
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

6 (6-inch) pitas
1/2 pint container store bought plain hummus
1/2 cup prepared olive tapenade
3 cups shredded provolone or mozzarella or a combination of the 2
6 anchovies, chopped, optional
3 whole roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
1 can artichoke hearts in water, 6 hearts, drained well and chopped
1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini, chopped, optional
Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Arrange the pitas on baking sheets or sheets. In a bowl combine the hummus and the olive tapanade. Spread the hummus on pitas and top with cheese, like pizza. Combine the chopped anchovies, peppers, artichokes, and pepperoncini. Cover the pizzas with the chopped mixture. Bake 10 to 12 minutes to melt cheese and crisp the pitas. Cut pizzas into wedges and garnish with parsley.

3 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

You know, I love pizza. I even love garbanzos. But, I hate hummus. So, I'm gonna have to pass on this. But I do love your pic and oh yea, I'm a Rachel Ray fan - lol.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Elle said...

Ooooh, those look awesome! I adore hummus, and all the other things in this!

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just wanted to say i realy like this blog.
If you`re interested, also check out this blog, with recepies for realy good dishes and real easy.