Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pizza Night: Buffalo Chicken Pizza

If it isn't one thing, then it's another. Now I finally have my internet connection back ... (have I mentioned lately how much I hate WildBlue?) ... and now apparently I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm in a brace at the moment and hopefully surgery won't be required but unfortunately, at least for awhile, my computer time will be limited. I'll still be cooking though! And experimenting with my new camera. Woohoo!

Pizza night again and I was looking for something other than the same old-same old and I found it. Another Rachael Ray winner: Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Using pre-made pizza dough makes this recipe a snap to put together.

One warning: be sure that you like the flavor of your hot sauce. While a few drops may add some zing to a dish, 3 tablespoons adds a lot of heat *and* a lot of the flavor of the hot sauce. Next time I'd definitely use Cholula. This time I was out od Cholula and used Desert Creatures Scorpion Sting, which I like a lot in smaller doses. The pizza was still great but it would be even better with the flavor of Cholula though.

Add some celery sticks, a little blue cheese dressing and you have a great -- and not too messy -- meal!

Since this pizza was *way* too spicy for the kids, ds created his own pepperoni pizza for his sisters. It was great, and thoughtful brother that he is, he even left of couple of pepperoni-free slices for his youngest sister.


Wingless Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

3/4 pound chicken breast cutlets
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
2 teaspoons grill seasoning, (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning) eyeball it
1 pizza dough, store bought or from your favorite pizzeria
Cornmeal or flour, to handle dough
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce, medium to spicy heat
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, a few generous handfuls
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
3 scallions, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Preheat grill pan to high.

Place chicken on a plate and drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the chicken then season with grill seasoning. When grill is hot, add chicken and cook about 3 minutes on each side.

Stretch dough to form pizza using cornmeal or flour to help you handle it. If you let it rest and warm up a few minutes it will handle even easier. Set pizza on pizza pan to the side and clean board.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and stir in Worcestershire, hot sauce, and tomato sauce.

Remove the chicken from grill and thinly slice it. Add chicken to sauce and coat. Cover the pizza dough with the saucy Buffalo chicken, cheeses, and scallions. Bake 18 minutes or until crisp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I just discovered your site and my mouth is watering from those fabulous pictures! Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel. I hope it gets better without surgery. And I'm glad to hear you'll still be able to cook!