Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bacon Sandwich

When I planned our Tennessee getaway, I really didn't focus on the food aspect of the trip. I was more interested in the no-children-are-going aspect! ;-) After our amazing first dinner at the Barnyard Bistro (a gourmet establishment decorated in chickens and other down-homey type things), breakfast turned out to be another pleasant surprise. Since we were perched on the side of a mountain halfway to the middle of nowhere, we decided to check out the nearest diner for a quick breakfast before starting our day. That happened to be The Slab in Del Rio, Tennessee. Not really sure where the name comes from. It certainly didn't conjure up images of great food but again, things aren't always what they seem. The slab is a gas station/convenience store/diner located almost to Halfway to the Middle of Nowhere. Convenient for us so we stopped in a couple times during our trip to stock up on water or ice cream. ;-)

For breakfast I ordered a bacon and tomato biscuit. Now I love bacon sandwiches and I often make a bacon and tomato sandwich for lunch but it never occurred to me to make a bacon and tomato sandwich on a buttermilk biscuit. The bacon was perfectly cooked. I always ask for it to be cooked "crisp" and almost no one can manage that. It's either too chewy (ick!) or it resembles charcoal. This thick cut bacon came out perfectly. The biscuit was buttery and flaky and amazingly this early in the season, the tomato was red, ripe and juicy. Perfect start for a busy day. Dh had the eggs, bacon and biscuits and gravy and I couldn't quite decipher what he was trying to say through the moans of pleasure. And all the ladies working at the slab were friendly and helpful. All in all, The Slab was a big surprise. If you are ever in the Del Rio area, be sure to stop in!

Since we'd forgotten to take the camera or even a cell phone to dinner the night before, I had dh take a picture of my bacon biscuit. I didn't really think I'd write about it. I mean, come on! A bacon sandwich? Well, apparently bacon sandwiches are a popular topic for food bloggers these days. ;-)






Recipe Challenge: Grilled Cheese and Bacon Sandwich

No comments: