Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas is almost here!

It's hard to believe Christmas is next week. I'm not finished shopping, haven't even started wrapping yet and have absolutely what I'm going to cook yet. It's especially hard to believe because it was 55 degrees here today! Usually we have snow and cold weather at this time of year. It's not very festive weather but it does make it much nicer to do all that last minute Christmas shopping. :-)

Since I got home late after a long day of holiday shopping, I decided to pull out an old favorite, Greek Feta and tomato pasta, that I originally discovered at Sweetnick's. It's quick, easy and uses ingredients I always have on hand and even though it doesn't contain meat, my carnivorous husband will eat it. I make extra pasta and the children eat it with a little butter and lots of fresh Parmesan. Quick, easy and everyone is happy.


Greek Feta and Tomato Pasta

1/2 pound thin spaghetti
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 fresh plum tomatoes, cored and chopped (I used a can diced fire-roasted tomatoes)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup dry white wine
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Bring 4 quarts water to a boil and lightly salt. Prepare spaghetti following package directions. Remove 1/4 cup of the cooking water and reserve; drain pasta.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring so garlic does not burn. Stir in tomatoes, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook for 1 minute. Add feta cheese, spaghetti and reserved water and toss with pepper. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

this is a great dish! so easy and good, i've made it 3 times! and i tried it once with goat cheese instead of feta...also yummy.

Teresa said...

Thanks! :-) I like the goat cheese idea. I'll have to try that.

Andrea said...

I saw this on A whisk and a spoon and followed the links to you. I made it with sheep milk feta (my husband doesn't like most of the cows milk feta). It was lovely. Thanks for sharing.