Monday, March 1, 2010

Egg Foo Yong

 
So good I dreamed about it! This is one I made awhile back and forgot about. Not sure how I let that happen because I loved it. Hubby loved it. Even picky daughter loved it. All that plus the fact that I keep every single ingredient on hand all the time so it's the perfect pantry meal. Fortunately last night I had a dream. And in that dream I was whipping up these delicious Asian-inspired Egg Foo Yong omelets for Sunday morning breakfast. Of course once I woke up, nothing else was going to satisfy my hunger so I did indeed mix up a batch of these delicious eggy treats.On the negative side, apparently my camera skills have not improved much. The new pictures were ... not appetizing to put it nicely. (See below.)  Here's a shot from the first go round. This time I had them on hamburger buns with fresh tomato and a dollop of mayo. Heavenly!

 
Doesn't look all that appetizing but it is delicious! On a sandwich or 
splashed with soy sauce and eaten with a fork. Heaven on a plate!


Egg Foo Yong
Recipe courtesy of Diva: Flava.style

8 large eggs
4 tablespoons canola oil2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, minced
4 large scallions (green onions), chopped, about 1 cup
1 medium sweet onion, chopped, about 1 cup
2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 large red jalapenos, chopped, about 1 cup -OR-
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduced sodium
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
1 8 oz-can water chestnuts, chopped

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick pan over medium high heat and sauté scallions, onions, mushrooms, peppers, bean sprouts, ginger and water chestnuts until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Do not allow garlic to burn, it will become bitter. Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs with soy sauce and black pepper, add vegetable mixture and stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to non-stick pan over medium heat, ladle 1/6 of egg mixture into pancake-like shape, cook until golden brown, approx. 2 minutes on each side. Continue making 5 more patties, one at a time, with remaining mixture.

Serve on bread or bun of your choice, with whatever you prefer.

5 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

This would make a great meatless dinner too. Love it!

By the way, my friend Laura, from "Hey What's for Dinner Mom?" is hosting a blog feature called: "Just another Meatless Monday" ... if you want to like up this recipe over there, she'd be glad to have you.

Here's the link:

http://heywhatsfordinnermom.blogspot.com/2010/02/just-another-meatless-monday-1.html

Christina said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love egg foo young, but have never made it myself. My dad would make it, or I get it from Chinese take out!

Laura said...

Whoa! I have never thought of making egg foo young at home. How interesting. I bet my kids would like these and I bet my husband would too. Plus with all our fresh eggs from the chickens we'll never go hungry.

Thanks so much for linking in and giving such great idea! I hope you get inspired by some of the posts too.

What a great blog you have, I'm glad I found it...or you found me :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really does look wonderful and I need meatless meals for this time of year. I love to visit here. There's always something interesting going on. I hope you had a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Teresa said...

Thanks for the link! I love the idea of Meatless Mondays. :-)