Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bean, Kale, and Chorizo Soup


I was supposed to go out of town last weekend. My plan called for hubby to take care of Sunday night dinner. When plans changed at the last minute, I decided to throw something together rather than order that pizza. I'd picked up some Spanish Chorizo earlier in the week simply because it's something that my regular grocery store doesn't carry. I didn't really have any specific plans for it so I thought I'd experiment. I sliced it up and browned it in a little olive oil. I threw it in a soup pot with some chicken stock and the remnants of the vegetable crisper: kale, carrots, half an onion. I tossed in some chunks of potato and a can of white beans. Salt, pepper and dash of red pepper flakes simmered until the veggies were soft and dinner was served. It was so good hubby and I fought over the leftovers for lunch the next day. I will definitely be making this again soon.


Chorizo, Kale and White Bean Soup

1 can Navy beans
8 cups chicken broth
1 handful baby carrots, sliced thin
1/2 large onion
1 large potato, diced
1/2 bunch of kale, washed and roughly chopped
1/2 pound chorizo, cut into discs
1 tablespoon or so of vinegar
red pepper flakes
salt
Parmesan cheese, for garnish

Brown chorizo in a small skillet.

Add chorizo and all aother ingredients except kale to stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Simmer until vegetables are soft. Add kale. When kale is done, soup is ready.

No comments: