Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sliced Steak Gyros


In the midst of all this snowy weather we've had lately, I find myself dreaming of tropical getaways and ocean breezes. To facilitate this (and further delude myself that this winter will actually end. Really.) I prepared a great summer meal. A Greek Salad full of juicy tomatoes, salty Kalamata olives and crumbled Feta. So good that I blogged about it already here. To go with I'd planned Chicken Gyros but I had a chance to go out to lunch with my oldest son earlier in the week and ended up ordering Chicken Gyros so I switched to Rachael Ray's Sliced Steak Gyros instead.

The sauce was tasty and perfect for hubby who does not like cucumbers. His only complaint was that his vegetarian-prone wife made his gyro. Tons of toppings and very little meat! Next time, he's on his own!



Sliced Steak Gyros
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

2 pounds 1-inch-thick sirloin steak
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Salt and pepper
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, grated
2 sprigs oregano, stems discarded, leaves chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 dashes hot pepper sauce
4 large pitas or other flatbread
Toppings, such as thinly sliced cucumber, tomato and red onion; chopped chiles and kalamata olives;
shredded romaine lettuce hearts; flat-leaf parsley leaves
4 lemon wedges

    Preheat the broiler or a grill to medium. Drizzle the steak with the EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, for medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then thinly slice.  

    While the steak is cooking, using a food processor, puree the feta, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a bowl. 

    Char the pitas under the broiler or on the grill. Top with the steak and your choice of toppings. Serve with the lemon wedges and yogurt sauce.

    5 comments:

    dining room table said...

    I think this is the time to eat something that will ruin my entire diet! My mouth is watering over the photo! It really looks so delicious.

    Stacie said...

    This sounds delicious. I love Gyros!

    Kim said...

    It looks yummy. I love gyros, as well as pita bread.

    Large Wall Mirrors Gal said...

    Sounds are so delicious. Such a wonderful dish in our festival time or a special days to celebrate.

    Wood Dining Table Gal said...

    sounds are looks yummmmiiiiii. Every time crumbled feta cheese with salad make dish so tasty.