Monday, February 8, 2010

Roasted Eggplant and Caramelized Onion Pizza

 

Heaven. On. A. Plate.
Roasted eggplant. Mmmmm. Caramelized onions. ::sigh:: How can it get any better than that? Why, I'll tell you. Add goat cheese! My idea of nirvana! I made half with goat cheese and since the nephew (who is still recovering from the last goat cheese escapade) was here, I put fresh mozzarella on the other half. That worked fine but the Mozz pizza was missing that tangy zing of the goat cheese half. (Which, by the way, I ate all by myself! It was so good I just couldn't stop!)


Roasted Eggplant and Caramelized Onion Pizza

adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine
Recipe found online at Perry's Plate

1/2 med eggplant, peeled and chopped
2 T olive oil
3 T butter
2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 c pizza sauce
1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c chopped roasted red peppers
1 c crumbled goat cheese
1 recipe whole wheat pizza crust

Coat eggplant with olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 10-12 min or until lightly browned; set aside.

In a large dutch oven/saucepan melt butter over med heat. Add onion, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to med-high and cook, stirring frequently until caramelized; set aside.

Spread pizza sauce over crust; sprinkle with 1 c mozzarella cheese. Top evenly with eggplant, onions, bacon and roasted peppers. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and goat cheese.

Bake at 425 for 12-15 min.

2 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

This looks spectacular! I love, love caramelized onions and they go so well with the goat cheese. What a terrific pizza! :)

dining room table said...

I really like onions that are caramelized so this is something that I would love to try.