Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Scallion Cream Cheese Bites




I personally think that "Little Pockets of Onion Cream Cheese Goodness" would have been the perfect name for ... these little pockets of onion cream cheese goodness! When I saw the recipe for Scallion Cream Cheese Bites over at Life's Ambrosia, I liked it because it seemed so simple. It was. (So easy in fact that I've made it twice in the past week!) What I didn't count on was that something so easy to put together would taste so good! Even my picky girls liked them! (Drats! More people to share with!)


Scallion Cream Cheese Bites
Recipe courtesy of Life's Ambrosia

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
kosher salt
12 – 15 wonton wrappers
water for sealing
oil for frying

In a bowl combine cream cheese, green onions and ginger. Season to taste with salt.

To assemble bites: Lay one wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Spoon one teaspoon of mixture into the center of the wrapper. Dip your finger in the water and run along the edges. Bring all sides together in the center, pinch just above the filling to enclose filling. Carefully twist to close.  Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once oil starts to shimmer, drip a small piece of a wonton wrapper in the oil, if it sizzles its ready. Working in batches so you don’t over crowd the pan, fry bites until golden brown, 2 – 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt if desired. Allow to cool for several minutes. Serve.

3 comments:

NKP said...

Oh my, they look totally delicious indeed! I could probably eat that whole plate.

Sook said...

My husband and I love these! We used to order these whenever we went to Chinese restaurants. Homemade ones look very yummy.

Patsyk said...

I saw these recently as well... I've been trying to resist making them as I know I won't want to share!