Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Caramelized Onion and Bacon Pizza



We were supposed to go to a party but I got sidelined with another headache. What do you fix when you weren't planning to fix anything and you have a house full of hungry people? Why pizza, of course! Since we love pizza, I usually keep pizza dough in the freezer and you can usually find a tube or two in the fridge. Lately I've been trying to keep a prepared pizza crust in the pantry for times when I need to get dinner on the table super fast. Tonight it definitely came in handy.

For this Caramelized Onion and Bacon Pizza, I looked in the fridge to see what we had and this was what I ended up with. Simple, with just a couple of ingredients but by caramelizing the onions you get a surprising depth of flavor: sweet onion-y deliciousness, smoky bacon, creamy cheese and a little added zing from the red pepper flakes.



Caramelized Onion and Bacon Pizza 

1 prepared pizza crust (We prefer Boboli)
Cream cheese, softened
1 T olive oil
1 onion, sliced

4 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
Shredded Mozzarella
Red pepper flakes, to your taste

Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion slices. Caramelize the onions, stirring occasionally. The longer the onions caramelize, the better they taste! Spread softened cream cheese in a thin layer on pizza crust. Top pizza with the caramelized onions. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and top with crumbled bacon and pepper flakes. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like a quick weeknight meal to me! Love the flavor combo.

Donna-FFW said...

I lovbe caramelized onions, and with bacon on pizza.. you are my hero with this recipe.. delicious!!

Patsyk said...

2 of my favorite ingredients are sure to make a fabulous pizza! Great idea to keep pizza dough handy for moments like this.