Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sorry I've been MIA



I suppose it was inevitable. All the kids have been sick so I'm not too surprised that I've got it now. I just wonder why I always get it worse? Hopefully this will all be behind us at Christmas. (That would be a first! Seems like someone is always sick on major holidays. LOL!)

I'm crawling back to bed. I'll post more when I'm able.

I'll leave you with a recipe for my favorite comfort food when I'm sick: Creamy Crockpot Potato Cheese Soup.

Creamy Crockpot Potato Cheese Soup

4 tablespoons butter
1/2 white onions -- chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups water
4 stalks celery -- diced
2 large carrots -- diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
salt -- to taste
pepper -- to taste
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons chicken base -- in 1 cup water
5 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and cubed
1 bay leaf
1 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
6 slices bacon -- crisp and crumbled

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion in butter until translucent. Stir in flour. Stir in 2 cups of water, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper. Heat through. Stir in milk. Add dissolved chicken base in water. Place potatoes in crockpot and stir heated vegetable mixture into potatoes. Place bay leaf into pot, cover and cook 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Remove bay leaf and puree 4 cups of the soup. Return to crockpot. Add cheese and bacon. Stir until cheese is melted.

3 comments:

Peter M said...

Don't worry, we all get busy...especially this time of year!

The soup is warming, comforting...I'd like a big bowl.

Darius T. Williams said...

I wanna get sick...so I can eat that soup and get well - lol. Feel better soon!

Birdie said...

Sorry your not feeling well! Get well quick.

Thought I'd stop by and wish you a Merry Christmas!