Thursday, November 6, 2008

Peking Chicken Pizza


What do you eat for dinner on Election Day 2008, the biggest election in recent memory? Obviously something that's easy to eat in front of the television! Peking Chicken Pizza turned out to be the perfect choice. I came across this recipe last week when I discovered a great blog called Culinary in the Desert Country. Once I saw Joe's gorgeous pictures of this pizza, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I put it in my menu plan for next week but I just couldn't wait. And am I sure glad I didn't wait! This pizza was delicious. The mix of Plum Sauce and barbecue sauce is amazing; sweet, tangy, drool-worthy for sure! I used my pizza stone and the crust crisped up beautifully. (I followed the original recipe rather than Joe's version, mainly because I was in a hurry and used frozen pizza dough that I keep on hand rather than Joe's whole wheat crust. I plan to next time though!) This pizza was so good that dh, who isn't particularly a pizza fan (especially when we also had pizza over the weekend) raved about it. He was seriously disappointed when there was a break in the election coverage and he went back into the kitchen for another piece and it was all gone! What can I say? You snooze, you lose around here! LOL!

This recipe is quick and easy. with a complex flavor that seems like it must have been much more labor intensive. I think this is my new favorite pizza. And I think I'm keeping it on the menu plan for next week. Heck, I'm think if making a small one for breakfast this morning!

Peking Chicken Pizza
Recipe from Culinary in the Desert (Adapted from Rachael Ray)

8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and fresh ground black pepper
cornmeal, for dusting
12 or 16 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons plum sauce
3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
6 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
2 scallions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
3 tablespoons chopped orange bell pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a pizza stone placed on the lowest rack.

Heat a grill pan over high - drizzle oil over chicken and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Grill chicken, turning once, until done - about 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove and let cool. Slice into very thin strips.

Sprinkle enough cornmeal to slightly cover a pizza peel. Stretch and roll out dough to a rough 12" circle on a lightly floured surface and transfer to the cornmeal-dusted peel. Sprinkle the edges of the dough with sesame seeds. Spread plum sauce and barbecue sauce over the pizza - arrange the sliced chicken on top and scatter with the cheese. Sprinkle the top with the scallions and peppers. Slide pizza onto the stone and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.

Makes about 4 to 6 servings.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Ooh Teresa I really want to try this- I love Pizzas like this one. I like your must try list on your blog, too!

Darius T. Williams said...

I bet this was quite tasty!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe... Gotta love charming "fusion" type recipes like this :)

Shelby said...

This pizza looks delish! I really want some but I know Grumpy won't eat it. He's way way too picky. Can I come over next time you make it? ;)