Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Kitchen, My World: Morocco


I was really excited about Judy's choice of Morocco for My Kitchen, My World this week. It seems like such an interesting and exotic place. I had several recipes picked out ... and then reality (and a tragedy) intervened. We had two weddings planned. (Well, one wedding and one reception for a couple that had married out of town) but I figured I could still manage a Moroccan feast. Then, tragically my husband's cousin's son was killed in a car accident this week. The rest of the week's plans went right out the window.

I'm including two of the recipes I'd planned to make and hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to work them back into the menu. Hope everyone else enjoys their Moroccan adventures! Want to see? Check them out right here.




Kebab Koutb
ane: Appetizer Kebabs in a Moorish Marinade
Recipe found here

This typically Moroccan dish is an excellent hors d'oeuvre to serve at any time. It is amazing how the small cubes of suet improve the flavor of the kebab after some of the fat has burned off. The use of suet is particularly effective when cooking kebabs over a charcoal fire and may be successfully substituted in recipes calling for bacon.

Cut 1 Ib. FILLET OF BEEF OR STEAK into 3/4-inch cubes (approximately 32 cubes).

Cut 1/2 Ib. BEEF SUET into 1/2-inch cubes.

In an 8 x 10-inch shallow baking dish, prepare the Moorish Marinade:

Combine: 1/4 cup ONION, finely chopped and

  • 2 Tbs. PARSLEY, finely chopped.

    Blend: 1/2 cup OLIVE or SALAD OIL

    1 tsp. SALT
    1/4 tsp. PEPPER
    1/4 tsp. GARLIC POWDER
    1 tsp. GROUND CORIANDER (optional)
    1/2 tsp. GROUND CUMIN (optional).

    Blend the beef and suet cubes with the marinade and allow the mixture to marinate for several hours.

    Thread four pieces of beef alternately with three pieces of suet (start and end with beef) on a 6-inch metal or bamboo skewer.

    Grill or Broil using a hot fire, basting occasionally with the marinade.

    Arrange 1 KEBAB KOUTBANE on a small plate.

    Garnish with TOMATO SLICES and PARSLEY SPRIGS at the side of the plate.

  • http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Cookbook/Morocco.html#KEBAB%20KOUTBANE


    Batinjaan zalud: Eggplant Salad
    Recipe found here
      Yield: 8 small salads

    This Eggplant Salad may also be served as an appetizer. It is an excellent accompaniment to a Couscous, as it is to any of the great entrees of Morocco. Be sure that the salad is very cold when served.

    Peel 1 or 2 large EGGPLANTS (approx. 2 Ibs.).

    Cut into 1-inch slices.

    In a 10-inch skillet:

    Fry in 1/2 cup OLIVE or SALAD OIL until soft.

    Mash the eggplant.

    Add: 1/4 cup ONION finely chopped

  • 3 cloves GARLIC finely chopped (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
    4 Tbs. LEMON JUICE
    1 tsp. SALT
    1/4 tsp. GROUND PEPPER
    1 Tbs. SUGAR, and blend thoroughly.

    Chill in refrigerator.

    Heap 1/2 cup EGGPLANT MIXTURE on a 6- to 7-inch plate.

    Mash it down to form a circle within 1 inch of edge of plate.

    Dribble with 1/2 tsp. OLIVE OIL (if mixture appears dry).

    Place:

    1 slice TOMATO in center of circle and
    1 BLACK OLIVE in center of tomato.

    Garnish with PARSLEY SPRIGS.

  • 2 comments:

    Dewi said...

    Oh my god, I am so sorry to hear the news. My condolence to your husband cousin's family. I am very sorry. I hope you are okay and please don't worry about the Moroccan week, we are completely understand.

    I admire your effort to provide the recipe for us. And I love the kebab recipe, sounds very delicious, so does the eggplant salad. Cheers, Elra

    Michelle Dargen said...

    I am so sorry to hear your news. My thoughts are with yours and your husbands cousins family.

    Please take care and know that all of us here at MKMW are here for you.