Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Layered Greek Dip


Here's a recipe that might come in handy this holiday season. It's easy to make and looks pretty when you serve it. This Layered Greek Dip from The Savory Notebook is perfect to take to those family carry-ins. The ingredients will keep on hand for awhile and it can be quickly thrown together at the last minute. Be sure to use a good hummus though. I tried a new brand the first time I made it and the horrible hummus overshadowed the whole dish. Next time I used our family favorite and the dip was delicious.


Layered Greek Dip
Recipe from The Savory Notebook

8 ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups prepared hummus
1 cup chopped cucumber
1 cup chopped tomato
½ cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
½ cup crumbled feta cheese (reduced fat is fine)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
pita chips and/or multigrain tortilla chips

1. In medium mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and garlic with rubber spatula until smooth and well-combined.
2. Spread cream cheese mixture into deep 9-inch pie plate or oval platter. Spread hummus on top of cream cheese layer. Sprinkle on cucumber, then tomato, olives, feta, and green onions.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

This is a GREAT idea!! I love all those flavors but never thought of making it into a dip. Genius!

I also wanted to say, when I saw the name of your blog, before I read your description, I thought you shared a similar philosophy about running as me LOL. I run so I can eat. I can't say I LOVE running, I've grown to like and appreciate what it does for me, but mostly I do it so that I can eat basically what I want and not worry to much about weight gain. Sad I know! LOL. Hopefully I'll eventually move to love running like you do :) I definitely love the eating part!

Patsyk said...

That would be a great addition to the pre-dinner munchies for the upcoming holidays! Looks great!

Peter M said...

I like this, a play on a Tex-Mex layered dip but with greek ingredients. Bake some pita triangles and ta-da!

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm loving this - this dip looks absolutely great!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

Awesome! I love Greek food (and dips and salads!) :)