Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tomato Sandwich with Basil Mayonnaise


After a busy morning slaving over the stove -- my jam-making a success -- the last thing I wanted to do was prepare a complicated lunch. Remembering that I'd bookmarked a delicious-sounding recipe from Ina Garten that might just be perfect: Tomato Sandwich with Basil Mayonnaise. I had a basket of garden fresh tomatoes that were ripe and juicy and ready to use. It was a simple matter of whisking a few ingredients into the mayo and an incredible sandwich was born. I had two. One toasted and one not. Both were delicious. The Basil Mayo has just the right amount of basil-garlicky goodness. I can't wait to use the left over mayo on something else: chicken sandwich, BLT, pasta. Heck, I can't wait to lick the spoon! This is a great way to use up those end-of-season tomatoes you have laying around. Mmmm!

Tomato Sandwich with Basil Mayonnaise
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

1 cup good mayonnaise
10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 slices country loaf bread
1 heirloom or Israeli tomato, sliced

Whisk together the mayonnaise, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top of 2 slices of bread. Place the sliced tomato on top of one
bread slice. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the tomato. Cut the sandwich in half and serve.


1 comment:

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Mmmm, that looks and sounds so delicious! I used to not be a tomato fan and am just starting to enjoy them. I have a ton that my sweet neighbor shares and I think I will have to try this summer sandich.