Thursday, September 25, 2008

Farmers Market stuff

The youngest daughter and I made a run to the Farmer's Market this weekend. I didn't really need anything. We were just looking for something special to do together and the market just happens to be one of dd's favorite places in the world. We've been going since she was a baby and she always loves looking at all the fresh fruits and veggies and oohing and ahhhing over all the beautiful flowers and of course picking out the perfect old-fashioned candy stick. She was excited about her Pina Colada flavored candy but I was more excited about what I bought!

The tomatoes and peppers looked great. Mine have long since petered out. (Apparently you have to water them *every* day and pull the weeds and stuff. Hmmm. LOL!) Since I had no plans for them, I spent the day checking out blogs looking for a god idea. I found several:

Salsa Fresca from The Smitten Kitchen

Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam from Steamy Kitchen

Cherry Tomato-Studden Jalapeno Corn Muffins from Mango & Tomato

Seared Scallops with Jalapeno Cream Sauce and Mexican Red Tomato Rice from Foodie

Homemade Tomato Salsa from Tammy's Recipes

Simple Cooked Tomato Salsa from Simply Recipes

There were lots of plums this week. I've actually never had a plum before so I'm really excited to try them. But what to make? My ideas:

Plum Bars from Cook & Eat

Plum Coffeecale with Cinnamon Streusel from Apartment Therapy

Black Plum Clafoutis from Orangette

Grilled Ribs with Plum Barbecue Sauce from MattBites

Plum, Feta and Fresh Mint Panini from Not Eating Out in New York

Apples too now. :-)

Ina Garten's Apple Turnovers

Simplest Apple Tart from Smitten Kitchen

Applesauce from Simply Recipes

Baked Apples from Kitchen Parade

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Sauteed Apples from Smitten Kitchen

4 comments:

Patsyk said...

Wow! You found some beautiful produce at the market! I love going to the farmer's market as well.

Can't wait to see the results of all those recipes you've chosen!

Cole said...

Looks wonderful! The plum recipes look great, but I can't ever resist biting into a nice plum so I doubt I would leave any to cook with!

Cynthia's Blog said...

This looks like the catch I took out of my garden today only quadruple it. I made a super hot salsa with Anchos I grew and roasted myself today. It made 4 pints. I also made a great Escabeche(Pickled jalapenos) I did post that one on my blog. I am going to try your chicken tortilla soup soon as the weather turns cold. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Farmer's Markets are wonderful places ... very theraputic ... lol!

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com