Thursday, August 7, 2008

Summer's Bounty

Summer is in full swing here ... finally. This summer has been wetter than normal as well as cooler than usual. The lake was too cold to swim in until July and Lily's lips still turn blue if we stay in too long. Teperatures have been in the 90's this week and it really feels like summer ... and school's ready to start. What's wrong with this picture? Sure makes me want to reconsider the whole homeschooling issue!


The tomatoes are delicious. That homegrown, juicy taste of heaven you get when you eat a tomato that you've just picked that's still warm from the sun. Mmmmm! I've had plenty of cherry tomatoes but the regular tomatoes aren't really cooperating. I've had a few but they seem to be coming on finally. Too wet and cold earlier perhaps. I am starting to have a pretty good idea why some of the tomatoes aren't looking very photogenic. I have a new friend. We both really like homegrown tomatoes. ;-)



The grapes look incredible. They are starting to turn! And it does look like there will be plenty for me as well as enough to share. I can't wait to make jams and jellies. I never had jelly from the store until I moved away from home. My mom was always putting up food. I can still remember the strawberry jam and the grape jelly. Mmmmm!




I finally have a little eggplant. Just one so far but after all the exciting eggplant recipes I've seen lately, hopefully we'll get a few more before it's over. (A Southern Grace's baba ganoush comes to mind!)







I'm very excited about this one. Know what they are? Persimmons! We have two persimmon trees on our property. It was a very sad day when the third one got struck by lightning and landed on the new baby persimmon tree. Indiana persimmons are like the greatest thing ever. I grew up looking forward to family gatherings when one of my relatives would bring a persimmon pudding. Topped with whipped cream ... we're talking heaven on a plate! It's been awhile since I've had some and I can't wait until I can make my own this fall!

2 comments:

grace said...

it's a purty darn good recipe for baba ghanoush, if i do say so myself! i hope you try it and love it as much as i do!
lovely pictures. they make me wish i had a decent garden... :)

Darius T. Williams said...

No eggplant - lol.

But those grapes look good!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com