Friday, August 1, 2008

Portobello Wraps


This one is quick, easy and delicious. I found some bargain portobellos at the grocery today. Half price and needed to be used soon. Since I'd stumbled across Vegan Dad's recipe for Roasted Red Pepper and Mushroom Baked Wraps before I left for the store, I grabbed the mushrooms as quicly as I could. Just remembering the yummy photo on Vegan Dad's blog had me drooling my way through the store! Unfortunately when I got home I realized that I didn't have what I needed to make his wraps but I improvised and let me tell you, I can't wait to make his recipe. He used a mixture of mushrooms, including chanterelles which I've never tried before. He also roastes his own red peppers. I cheated. ;-) I used jarred roasted red pepper and a little eggplant-flavored hummus and sauteed the portobellos in a little garlic and olive oil. Delicious! I have to say that I'd not ever thought of adding cheese to this mix but since Vegan Dad did, I tried it and it was delicious! (Of course it was. We're talking gooey melted cheese here!)

On my next trip to the store I will definitely be picking up some smoked paprika and a few chanterelles (assuming that I can find them out here in the middle of nowhere! Morels in the yard, I can find but chanterelles in our grocery store? That will be tougher.)

Check out Vegan Dad's recipe here.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

Roasted Red Peppers and Mushrooms, 2 of my favorite things. Yum!!!

Elle said...

You will LOVE smoked paprika! The wraps look so good!