Sunday, August 10, 2008

Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce


The weather has been great here lately ... hot, dry and not too humid. For the Midwest, that's about as perfect as it gets! We've been spending our days at the lake and coming home in time to throw something on the grill for dinner. Lately I've come across several chicken recipes that I wanted to try and since chicken has been pretty reasonably priced around here lately -- and because it's the one meat that we'll all eat! -- we've been eating a lot of chicken lately. While I was perusing recent posts over at Taste and Tell, I came across a recipe I knew I'd have to make. This Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce is an update on an old family favorite of ours: Grilled Chicken with Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce. Similar recipes but this one has a lot more pizazz. The spice coating adds considerable more flavor that the simply seasoned chicken breasts we used to use. The white barbecue sauce is a bit more complex as well. The sauce is great on about everything. The creaminess of the mayo and the bite of the horseradish. Mmmmm! I've made it twice in the past two weeks, once for the family and then last weekend when our dear friends came for dinner. This night we paired it with a Grilled Zucchini recipe I found over at Kalyn's Kitchen. This is definitely a meal we'll be seeing again soon!

Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce
from Southern Living 2007 Annual Recipes and can be found at Taste and Tell
Serves 5


1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
10 chicken thighs, about 3 lbs.
White barbecue sauce (recipe follows)

Combine first 7 ingredients. Rinse chicken, and pat dry; rub mixture evenly over chicken. Place chicken in a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill for 4 hours. Remove chicken from bag, discarding bag.

Grill chicken, covered with grill lid over medium high heat for 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted inot thickest portion registers 180F. Serve with White Barbecue Sauce.

White Barbecue Sauce

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons horseradish

Stir together all ingredients until well blended. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

3 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I love a great grilled chicken. You know, I saw this white bbq sauce on the food network some time ago. I don't know about that idea...I'm a down home kinda guy, and I think that there's just something I like about a red bbq sauce. LOL

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

grace said...

it sure looks appetizing, but i just couldn't do it--just thinking about mayonnaise makes me cringe, and tasting it, well...i won't go there. :) i'm still impressed by your execution though. :)

Teresa said...

You know, they call it a BBQ sauce but it's really just more of a horseradish sauce I serve over the meat. I wouldn't add it to the meat on the grill or anything, like you might with a regular BBQ sauce. I never used to keep mayo in the house. Dh preferred Miracle Whip. I've made it with Miracle Whip before and it was pretty good too without the overt mayo taste.