Friday, April 11, 2008

You say Tomato ...

The rain held off long enough for me to get a decent run in today. The weather was great. Probably 65 degrees. A little windy at times but it was so warm the breeze was nice. Now that I've given up the idea of a half marathon in three weeks, I'm enjoying my runs a lot more. We found out we can use our HM bibs to run in the 5K that same day. A much more realistic -- and pain free -- goal.

Here's a quick and easy salad for a warm spring day: Rachael Ray's Tomato and Bread Salad. She made this on the same 30 Minute Meals episode that she made the Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Portobella Mushrooms that I've already posted about. ::blech!:: It's a good thing the salad looked so yummy or I never would have tried it. It actually looked a lot better than it seems like from this picture. And it tasted great. Eat it soon though. I made it a couple of hours before dinner and luckily I couldn't stop nibbling on it. By the time dinner rolled around the bread was too mushy. Right after I made it, it was perfect. I can't wait to try this with some home-grown Indiana tomatoes this summer and some fresh basil from my garden. Yum! I think I may add a little fresh mozzarella next time as well. Mmmmm!

Tomato and Bread Salad
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

6 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh basil leaves, about 20, torn
4 cups crusty bread, torn or coarsely chopped
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced

Tidbit: Panzanella, stale bread salad, requires that you soak and wring out the bread before assembling the salad. If you make this with fresh crusty bread or the bread has staled a bit but not hardened, the juice from the tomatoes should be enough to tenderize the bread's crusty edges.

Do not seed tomatoes. Chop and place in a salad bowl. Add basil, bread, onions, 1/4 cup EVOO, lots of salt and pepper and toss with your hands to combine.

No comments: