Friday, April 4, 2008

I'm Taking it Easy Today: Soup and Sandwiches

Today's a rest day. :-) Tomorrow dh, dd, ds and I are running in a local race. Dh and I will be running a 5 mile race while the kids will be participating in a one mile Fun Run. Five year-old Lily is very excited about it. We've been out running together every day lately and I can't wait to see how she does. She ran about a 12 minute mile the first day we ran this year. (You know how long it took me to run a 12 minute mile? LOL!) Watching Lily, you can see how there is something to the Galloway run/walk method of running. She runs really fast. Then slows down and walks for a moment before taking off again. She's much faster this way than when I was trying to get her to slow down so she could run the whole way. :-)

Looking for a quick dinner last night, I found this recipe for Spicy Sweet Potato and Smoked Sausage Soup from the Florida Department of Agriculture that looked delicious. It's warmer here today than it has been. Probably almost 60 degrees F but rainy and very dreary so it doesn't *feel* like spring break. A warm bowl of soup sounded perfect. Dh likes spicy smoked sausage and I've been having a hard time finding it lately. I happened to pick some up at the store this week so I had every thing on hand to quickly whip up a quick pot of soup (in my new dutch oven I picked up at Goodwill the other day. Brand new for about three bucks. Woohoo!)

Aside from the chopping, which is no big deal, it goes together quickly. While the soup simmered I threw together some sandwiches using the sweet Italian bread that the kids love so much and served the soup and sandwiches with a side of coleslaw. Dinner was on the table in about 30 minutes. I left out the jalapeno since I didn't have any and added some cayenne to give it a bit of heat. I also left off the green onions since the kids have a "green" aversion these days.This one is definitely on of dh's favorites.

Spicy Sweet Potato and Smoked Sausage Soup
http://www.florida-agriculture.com/recipes/pork/pork-2004.htm

8 ounces smoked sausage, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and large diced
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
green onions, as garnish

Saute sausage in a large sauce pot for 5 minutes over medium heat; add vegetables and continue to saute for an additional 5 minutes; add flour and cook for 2 more minutes; add stock, salt and pepper and stir until smooth. Simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Garnish with green onions.

No comments: