Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mmmm! Mmmm! Good!

What is it about being sick that causes you to crave creamy, comforting and totally unhealthy foods? While I was tossing and turning and trying to think of something I thought I could eat, I kept thinking about Alfredo sauce. Since I'd come across a recipe for Shrimp Pasta Like Red Lobster earlier in the week, I decided to give that a try. I like shrimp but dh doesn't so I decided to substitute some imitation crab chunks that I'd picked up on my speed shopping trip. Well, it turns out that I wasn't really paying attention and what I'd picked up was actually imitation lobster. Quite a fortuitous accident because the imitation lobster was delicious! The flavor was sweet and creamy and I think I actually preferred it to the real thing! Wow. ;-) The pasta was okay. Sort of bland and definitely not worth all the extra fat and calories to me. Maybe fresh herbs would have livened the dish up a bit and perhaps a bit more Parmesan and some fresh ground pepper. (Can you ever have too much Parm? I don't think so!) Dh, who doesn't usually care for seafood pasta took two servings and raved about the flavor so all in all it was a hit. Next time I'll definitely use the imitation lobster but I think I'll find and healthier -- and more flavorful -- sauce.

Shrimp Pasta like Red Lobster
http://www.recipezaar.com/185704

1/3 cups olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound shrimp, peeled, de-veined and tails removed

2/3 cup clam juice or chicken broth

1/3 cup dry white wine

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed

1 package linguine, (8 oz.) cooked and drained


Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high
heat. Add garlic; reduce heat to low. Simmer until garlic is tender. Add shrimp in same skillet; cook over medium-low heat until opaque. Remove; reserve liquid in pan. Add clam juice or chicken broth; bring to a boil. Add wine; cook over medium-high heat 3 min, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat to low; add cream, stirring constantly. Add cheese; stir until smooth. Cook until thickened.

Add shrimp to sauce. Heat through. Add remaining ingredients except linguine. Pour over linguine in large bowl; toss gently to coat. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Serves 6.

No comments: