Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A little more consistent with the running last week. Our mini marathon training season is finally in full swing here and of course the temperature has been cooperating. It was 5 degrees F for our group run Saturday morning. I guess that's one way to weed out all those who aren't serious about participating! Personally, I've been doing better on the running front this week. I should have run yesterday but I went to the osteopath instead. It's amazing what a difference he makes in the way I feel and the way I run. I didn't think I felt that bad when I went in. I'd just noticed a few signs that my pelvis was starting to tilt again. Nothing serious but whenever that happens within a couple of weeks it gets really painful. I feel great today and can't wait to get out there for a run in this glorious snow we have here.

It's been very cold here lately so last weekend I was looking for something warm and filling and Elise at Simply Recipes had just the perfect thing: Cheesy Bread. What's not to love? Two kinds of hot, gooey cheese, nice and creamy with the addition of mayo and sour cream plus a punch of flavor from the green onions. Easy to throw together and quick to prepare so I will definitely keep this one in mind for my next dinner party.


Cheesy Bread


1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese -- (8 oz)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese -- (1 lb)
1/2 cup chopped green onion (to taste) -- (1/2 to 1)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
3 cloves garlic -- minced (3 to 4)
1 stick unsalted butter, softened to the point of being slightly melted
1 loaves of French or Italian bread -- depending on the size of the loaves (1 to 2)


In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses and the green onion. Stir in the mayonnaise and sour cream. In a separate small bowl blend the butter and garlic until smooth. Add the butter mixture to the cheese mixture.

Preheat broiler. Slice loaf of bread in half horizontally, lay crust side down. Spread cheese mixture over the bread. Place under the broiler until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove from broiler and let sit for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice the bread with a bread knife. Serve.

Makes 30 to 40 slices.

No comments: